Ohio Private Well Water
Dirty Discolored Water, Bacteria, Iron Staining, and Odors
1. Homeowner complained that the particle filter clogged quicker, the pump failed, there was a smell in the water, and there was a Total Coliform Bacteria problem.
2. To solve the problem: They hired a Water Treatment Contractor and the contractor installed a water treatment system: larger particle filter and a water softener. This seemed to work for a while, but the problem returned.
To do your own Level 1 Observational Test check out our Self Test Web App.
1. We inspected the well and water treatment system.
2. We removed the well cap - The answer was found. Look at the casing - it is corroded and beginning to fail.
3. We suggested a camera inspection of the hole and then lining the casing with a PVC liner.
4. There was surface rust on the water pressure tank, the water lines, and the piping - because the components had insulation blankets that trapped condensation.
1.We suggested proper ventilation and insulation of the space and not the piping.
Hopefully this is a work in progress.
Lesson Learned - Sometimes the problem is the well construction and not simply a water treatment system.
Note - The wellbore needs maintenance and an annual inspection.